[j-nsp] Hash algorithms for LAG

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Jan 26 06:53:06 EST 2012

On Saturday, January 21, 2012 12:48:40 AM Pavel Lunin wrote:

> For IP traffic (doesn't matter routed or bridged) bits
> from MACs are never included, for non-IP (MPLS as well)
> they play the main role (this is documented), which can
> bring some surprises if you don't care (see Mark's
> report on suffering from this).

The time I was talking to JTAC about this, they claimed they
were working on some kind of improvements for the EX to
allow it to do MPLS-based hashing.

However, another engineer was, at the same time, saying the
limitation is hardware in nature. So that was confusing.

Nonetheless, we just switched to Cisco switches and were
happy.

Mark.