[j-nsp] Internet routes in MPLS network, global table or own VRF?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Jan 26 13:12:02 EST 2012

On Friday, January 27, 2012 12:36:50 AM Keegan Holley wrote:

> What do you use for signaling?  It seems like overkill to
> keep one kind of traffic from using the MPLS operations
> if there are already LSP's between the source and the
> destination and L3/L2vpn traffic flowing between them.
> You also give up some of the MPLS knobs such as FRR and
> link/node protection. What do you gain by doing this?

We signal mostly by LDP, and scarcely by RSVP.

One of the main reasons we allow Internet traffic to be
forwarded by MPLS through the network is to enjoy a BGP-free
core for IPv4. That's the only relation the global table has
with MPLS. Otherwise, MPLS is used strictly for MPLS-based
applications.

We only use RSVP for p2mp LSP's for our BGP-MVPN Multicast
(IPTv) services, and also for focused TE requirements, e.g.,
unequal cost paths within the core.

As the TE is mostly for Internet traffic, we don't turn on
FRR for that. We only enable FRR for the p2mp RSVP-based
LSP's, and those are dedicated to IPTv.

Mark.