[j-nsp] Internet routes in MPLS network, global table or own VRF?

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Thu Jan 26 15:08:35 EST 2012

2012/1/26 Pavel Lunin <plunin at senetsy.ru>:

>> Why not FRR everything? The control plane hit is negligable even if
>> your internet users wouldn't notice, care about, or even understand
>> the improvements.
>

> FRRed traffic can follow very fancy routes eating bandwidth on the way. FRR
> for high loads is like sending trucks from a speedway to a narrow detour
> path through a village 10 miles away. Only effect is getting it jammed. The
> Internet users will also not notice a well-tuned IGP reroute or a head-end
> switchover to a pre-signaled backup LSP.

I can see this happening in some corner cases, but generally speaking
why would FRR LSP's take a route different than what the IGP would
converge to.  CSPF is roughly SPF over a different set of values.  I'm
asking because I've never seen this in the wild, but I'm usually
switching from one speedway to another without the burden of narrow
villages.

> What the VRF-based Internet users will definitely notice is (looks like RAS
> is tired of telling this story) is ICMP tunneling and consequent hard to
> interpret delay values. People are very suspicious to the numbers. This is
> almost impossible to explain, that the numbers, traceroute shows, have
> nothing to do with their kitty-photos-not-loading problem.

Hey kitty photos are serious business especially if you are facebook
stalking the aforementioned kitty.