[j-nsp] Network-control queue counter increases on ccc-configured interface

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Jan 27 02:50:40 EST 2012

On Friday, January 27, 2012 03:32:03 PM Saku Ytti wrote:

> 1. normal inet (low margin, high dos risk customers)
> 2. priority inet (high margin, low dos risk customers)

The problem with trying to provide any kind of QoS to
Internet access customers is that if you can do it, it will
most probably only be possible in the egress direction, as
QoS scheduling is mostly on the egress portion of router
interfaces anyway.

But the majority of Internet access customers are
"downloading" from the Internet to their networks. Since you
can't guarantee how Internet packets are marked as they come
in, you can't really classify packets for preferred
scheduling toward a specific customer this way. Yes, you
could do things like DCU and QPPB, but this can get very
complicated very quickly, particularly if you have very
strong and dynamic peering, and you need to turn these
features for only a sub-set of your customers and not all.

And then when customers "think" you can sell "premium"
Internet access, the can of worms that you'll have opened
will be interesting. But I can't say that is either right or
wrong.

I won't deny, however, that DoS does introduce another
puzzle into the equation. But different networks solve this
in different ways depending on human resources, network
size, tools, amount of money to throw at the problem, e.t.c.

Mark.