[j-nsp] Split VRF traffic

Aaron Dewell aaron.dewell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 15:33:13 EDT 2012

Hi all,

Quick question for you all.  Is it possible to define static routes within a VRF on a PE router that specify different P routers as next-hops?  These are 2547 VPNs, BGP signaled etc.

The first hop signaling is LDP, thereafter enters an RSVP LSP.

Quick and dirty diagram:

1.1.1.1 ---- PE1 --- P1 --\               /-- PE3 ---- 3.3.3.3
               X    |           |        Network       |       X
2.2.2.2 ---- PE2 --- P2 --/               \-- PE4 ---- 4.4.4.4

The hops that need to be protected are PE1-P1 and PE2-P2.  The requirement is that we split half of critical traffic across each link.  Static routing is fine, and failover is unimportant.

1.1.1.1 talks to 3.3.3.3 and 4.4.4.4, 2.2.2.2 talks to both as well.  The path 1.1.1.1 to 3.3.3.3 should cross PE1-P1, while 1.1.1.1 to 4.4.4.4 should cross PE2-P2 (and the reciprocal situation for 2.2.2.2).

iBGP sessions are between PE1 to P1 (loopback to loopback which consider each other RR clients), PE1 and PE2, and P1 and P2 participate in the backbone full mesh.  There is no session between PE2 and P2, and I prefer not to add one if I don't have to.  However, that is the backup plan.

I'd happily just define static routes for this and move on, but the challenge that I've not come up with an answer for yet is that the routes to be split are within the VRF, yet the next-hop is in inet.0.

Any ideas?  Thanks for your input!

Aaron