[j-nsp] route BGP stall bug

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Jul 18 03:22:26 EDT 2012

On (2012-07-18 00:03 +0200), Tim Vollebregt wrote:

> IMHO this is a really bad one, and can be a showstopper in some cases.

Blackholing is absolutely worst thing router can do. And Juniper often
seems to have failure modes where they blackhole. In Cisco much more common
failure mode is total failure (i.e. crash), which I'm fine with (that low
is my expectations for network hardware vendors) as I can route around it.

I remember back in the JunOS4 days when Juniper was trying to enter the
market, one of the first sales pitches I heard 'you know how GSR drops
neighbours and stops forwarding when it runs out of memory?' ... 'well, we
just keep on forwarding based on the information we currently have!'. I ran
out of hands to properly express the level of facepalm I wanted.

--
  ++ytti