[j-nsp] route BGP stall bug

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Jul 18 14:15:39 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:03:39AM +0200, Tim Vollebregt wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This morning during a maintenance I experienced the route stall bug
> Richard mentioned a few times already on j-nsp.
>
> Hardware kit:
> -MX480 with SCB (non-e)
> -2 x RE-S-1800x4
> -4 x MPC 3D 16x 10GE
> Software version: 10.4R8.5
> During this maintenance I was placing 2 new routing engines into the
> router, replacing the 'old' RE-S-2000. This router is pushing a lot of
> traffic and receiving 14 x full BGP tables from eBGP peers/1 RR
> session to it's 'mate'/several iBGP peers with partial tables

Rest assured this issue is still alive and well in every piece of code
I've ever looked at. I've basically just given up and accepted that
Juniper can't actually handle a large number of routes, and nobody seems
capable of fixing it. EX's are especially bad, I can't get a full fib
installed from a reboot in anything less than an hour, even if I turn
off most of the BGP sessions so it converges faster. Either stop
carrying so many routes (14x full tables = you're screwed), or go buy a
Cisco. :(