[j-nsp] Real-world deployment scenarios for cloud services

Doug Hanks dhanks at juniper.net
Sun Jul 22 14:56:46 EDT 2012

We're looking for people that work directly with wireline
companies that have a large/medium POP presence and offer network services
to end-users such as:

* Cloud services
* Internet services

We're specifically interested in cloud services and the different
deployment scenarios to deliver network services to end-users.  For
example providing cloud services on top of an existing managed MPLS
network service.

I'm looking to capture real-world designs that our customers are using
today.
Perhaps the cloud services can be accessed by the end-user via
a private /24 that's routable within the end-user's L3VPN from the
provider or it's simply a routed VLAN ID on the same wire as the managed
MPLS service.  These real-world deployment scenarios will begin driving
how we implement features moving forward.

Right now I'm focusing on distributed data center architecture.  This is
defined as many different data centers such as POPs that are one-hop away
from end users.

I'll focus on centralized data center from end-users architecture later
down
the road.  This is defined as large, but fewer data centers that primarily
offer network services to customers over the Internet.

I'm looking for the following information:
* What type of cloud services are you offering?
* How is it being delivered to the end-users?
* How do the end-users access it?  Are there any prerequisites such as the
end-user must already purchase managed MPLS.
* A topology of the networks that are relevant to the cloud core,
aggregation, access, and edge.
* Relevant router configurations if possible.  What we're trying to
collect is how are the devices connected, what protocols are being used,
and how is traffic being routed, filtered, and isolated.  That's all.
* Any type of scaling information.  How many end-users per router, VRF,
interface, or any other measurement.

Obviously there are many different methods to do the same thing and
this is what I'm looking to capture.  The goal is to aggregate the
solutions and come up with the most common methods as seen in the field.

If you are someone that works with companies who have distributed
data centers (think traditional wireline service providers) and offers
network services, can you please unicast me?

Thank you,

--
Doug Hanks - JNCIE-ENT #213,  JNCIE-SP #875
Solutions Architect