[j-nsp] Analyser output interfaces - drops, CoS, loss-priority etc.

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+j-nsp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 04:05:34 EDT 2012

Hi all,

Has anyone found a solid config for EX-series analyser output
interfaces to reduce the likelihood of drops?

We have a bunch of network performance probes attached to our network
and slowly but surely I'm fine-tuning the EX interface and analyser
configs in an attempt to eliminate unnecessary drops. A couple of
questions:

- Is there a 'best practice' for CoS config (scheduler-map, mainly)
for analyser output interfaces? I don't really want any fancy queueing
on these ports.
- In the context of an analyser session, is loss-priority low (the
default) the best bet? Or high? I can't find any good references on
this - any KB articles either talk about VLANs as outputs (not
physical interfaces) or loss-priority is set to high in the example
without any explanation.

More generally, has anyone gone to the trouble of tuning NICs in
probes/analyser targets? I would be grateful for any advice there,
too. Flow control seems to be an obvious one to disable in the 'send'
direction (from the probe's perspective).

cheers,
Dale