[j-nsp] Netflow equivalent for MX5 11.4

Chris Kawchuk juniperdude at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 21:36:48 EDT 2012

JunOS Routing for all intents and purposes is stateless.

It doesn't cache information concerning the IP lookup (CEF-Style), hence there's no concept of a 'flow' in JunOS; so nothing per se to 'show'. (each packet is processed 'atomically', meaning JunOS doesn't remember that this next packet belongs to the same src/dst/port as a previous packet it's already processed and forwarded). Each packet is basically unique according to how JunOS does things. (With no need to cache, as it does it all wire-speed, plus caching/remembering only slows things down when you're in ASIC-land, not speed them up). </end-marketing-blurb>

You can enable Netflow reporting (cough..cough.. J-Flow I mean =).. If want real/actual Netflow records to be created. JuNOS on MX supports inline netflow (sampling and creating flow records for flow export), but needs to be enabled and exported.

- CK.