[j-nsp] GPL licensed software in juniper products

Wojciech Owczarek wojciech at owczarek.co.uk
Fri Jun 8 11:50:33 EDT 2012

Most, or probably all, tools modified for JunOS such as all the openssh
binaries, ftp, ping etc. with JunOS specific code (routing instance support
and such)  are on BSD licence.

mtr for example, used for "traceroute monitor", which is GPL, doesn't have
any custom Juniper switches :)

I'm sure there wouldn't be any issues with getting Juniper to release
source code for anything GPL bundled with JunOS, but probably it would all
be vanilla code with any patches included in FreeBSD ports.

Regards
Wojciech

On 8 June 2012 12:41, Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> wrote:

> Thomas Eichhorn <te at te3networks.de> writes:
>
> > has anybody here asked JNPR for the source code of the
> > GPL-licensed parts in their products? I currently just
> > wonder which all parts they have used and maybe if there
> > is some hidden web page containing that stuff.
> >
> > I don't want to go snail mailing them, as there EULA
> > requires me - anybody with experiences in this?
>
> I don't think it ever *required* this.  The text used "may", indicating
> that this was an option but not necessarily the only one.
>
> Anyway, the snail mail suggestion is not there anymore:
> http://www.juniper.net/support/eula/
>
> <quote>
> 17. Third Party Software. Any licensor of Juniper whose software is
>    embedded in the Software and any supplier of Juniper whose products
>    or technology are embedded in (or services are accessed by) the
>    Software shall be a third party beneficiary with respect to this
>    Agreement, and such licensor or vendor shall have the right to
>    enforce this Agreement in its own name as if it were Juniper. In
>    addition, certain third party software may be provided with the
>    Software and is subject to the accompanying license(s), if any, of
>    its respective owner(s). To the extent portions of the Software are
>     distributed under and subject to open source licenses obligating
>    Juniper to make the source code for such portions publicly available
>     (such as the GNU General Public License ("GPL") or the GNU Library
>    General Public License ("LGPL")), Juniper will make such source code
>     portions (including Juniper modifications, as appropriate) available
>    upon request for a period of up to three years from the date of
>     distribution. You may obtain a copy of the GPL at
>     http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html, and a copy of the LGPL at
>     http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html. Open source information and
>    information on contacting Juniper can be found at
>    http://www.juniper.net/support/products/ as applicable.
> </quote>
>
> So request the source the same way you would request an image, just like
> the GPL gives you the right to.  I.e., open a JTAC case. Did you try this?
>

> Bjørn

-

Wojciech Owczarek