[j-nsp] Input firewall on lo0 of EX --> ARP issue

Dennis Krul | Tilaa dennis at tilaa.nl
Thu Jun 14 06:27:53 EDT 2012

On 14 jun. 2012, at 12:11, Georgios Vlachos wrote:

> Hello Dennis,
>
> Could you post the FF on lo0 for us?
>
> Thanks,
> George

Hello George,

As Ralph said, it's a known issue on EX switches.  Oh and we just found PR486443, which confirms it:

EX is not generating local ARPs for transit traffic when loopback firewall filters are used
On EX switches, when a firewall filter is applied on the loopback (lo0) interface, the switch stops generating local ARP requests for transit traffic. As a workaround, do the following:
- Create firewall filters to block known unwanted traffic to the Routing Engine, and then accept all other traffic.
- Create firewall filters for specific hosts and all local subnets, and then discard all other traffic.
Severity Major
Status Closed
Last Modified 2012-02-15 22:33:31 PST

So yeah, I guess we'll have to implement that work-around.. It's not pretty, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be another way.

Regards,

--
Dennis Krul
Tilaa