[j-nsp] SRX hardware acceleration caveats

Chen Jiang ilovebgp4 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 23:07:11 EDT 2012

Hi!

SRX is the 2rd pure-software forwarding equipment from Juniper(the 1st is J
series routers), it just use multi-core CPU does all the forwarding and
security things in software. But in recent releases(maybe from JUNOS 10.4)
 there is a new feature called "service-offload" that could use NPC in
SRX3K/5K to do hardware acceleration for fast path, but with concurrent
sessions limited as a trade-off. and Juniper may go with this direction
with NG-IOC to get rid of this limitation presently.

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 3:13 AM, Benny Amorsen <benny+usenet at amorsen.dk>wrote:

> After having a few surprises from non-Juniper firewall equipment, I just
> thought I would ask here...
>
> Are there any surprises waiting when it comes to SRX enterprise
> firewalls and hardware acceleration? Is hardware acceleration limited to
> UDP and TCP, or does it work with e.g. ESP or SCTP? What about IPv6,
> does that get accelerated just like IPv4?
>

> /Benny
>
> (No the vendor with the surprises wasn't Cisco)

BR!

           James Chen