[j-nsp] SRX hardware acceleration caveats

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Tue Jun 19 08:36:58 EDT 2012

Per Granath <per.granath at gcc.com.cy> writes:

> For the record, the Miercom report is from tests without services
> offload - so that's without 'hardware offload'.

It is great to hear that.

> In general, with that 22Gbps on the SPC processing, the processing
> power could also be eaten up by IPSec termination and 'new connections
> per second' processing, or IPS, which would lower amount of processing
> left to 'firewall' traffic.

Sure, but on the other hand some traffic will be subject to services
offload, even if IPv6 takes off. At least for the foreseeable future
IPv4 will still represent a good chunk of traffic, which should free up
some SPC power.

It seems that the Juniper specifications provide conservative
performance numbers which do not include the benefits of services
offload. That is quite generous.

Thanks to you and everyone who contributed to this thread. I am much
better informed now.

/Benny