[j-nsp] cable modem/dsl/ftth bandwidth limiting

Chris Evans chrisccnpspam2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 13:19:51 EDT 2012

Question for you service provider folks.  How do cable modems, dsl, ftth,
etc limit bandwidth? I believe that everything is limited at the customer
edge demarq device, performing bandwidth limits on a central network device
would be too costly to do.

Do the CE devices use a form of traffic shaping, policing or some other
algorithm?? I believe it's just traffic shaping as I've looked at packet
captures and never see too many retrans taking place.

Thanks for any info you can provide!