[j-nsp] Broadcast storm on M7i fxp0 kills the CFEB?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jun 22 08:15:14 EDT 2012

All,

Yesterday, an error caused a loop in our OOB network. This resulted in
one of our route reflectors failing, badly. Apparently, the broadcast
storm caused the CFEB to die.

Both 1GE ports went link-down, which is understandable since the CFEB
actually seems to have rebooted:

admin at ext-m7i-2> show chassis cfeb
CFEB status:
   Start time:                           2012-06-21 14:46:39 BST
   Uptime:                               22 hours, 24 minutes, 7 seconds

The box logged all sorts of horrible messages, which suggest the
internal control connections (via fxp1) somehow hung or died - possibly
the RE CPU was pegged?

To say that this is disturbing is an understatement; surely there should
be no conceivable way for traffic on fxp0 to cause the CFEB to crash?

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone have any ideas why it happened,
and how I can ensure it cannot happen in future?

This is an RE 5.0 (400MHz) upgraded to 768Mb of RAM, running 10.4R8.5.