[j-nsp] Whats the best way to announce an IP range in BGP? Doesn't physically exist anywhere.

Scott T. Cameron routehero at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 07:28:58 EDT 2012

Generally you only want to bring traffic down to your SRX that can actually
be used.  There's no reason to advertise a /24 to your MX via IGP when
you're only actually using a /27 -- the leftover is just going to take up
sessions through random internet scans, etc.

Forcing advertisements of /32 from SRX to MX has some administrative
overhead, but is generally worth it.  I have a policy that matches my /24
orlonger, and inject /32 static discard routes.  The only bother is
remembering to inject the /32 when a new NAT address is being used.

Even so, some SRX nodes have a really low session count.

- My SRX240:  128k
- My SRX3400: 400k
- My SRX5600: 1M per PIC (3M total in my config)

The MX can be used to drop traffic to a specific IP that's causing your SRX
trouble, or rate limit, etc.  The MX has no problem dropping high volume
traffic.

You can also configure the session timeouts to be more reasonable for
applications in your environment.  I think the default for TCP is 15
minutes -- maybe you don't need that.

Scott