[j-nsp] Whats the best way to announce an IP range in BGP? Doesn't physically exist anywhere.

Tim Eberhard xmin0s at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 09:59:34 EDT 2012

While it's true that like all flow based devices the session table is
susceptible to session table attacks. There are some major built in
protection schemes put into place to limit the effectiveness and
protect the SRX. For the record your proof of concept would take a lot
of pps to fill up the session table given that it's UDP and UDP has a
default time out of 60 seconds...

You have source/destination based session limiting screens which are
highly effective and handled in hardware. Syn flood protection, udp
flood protection and others. Additionally you have the option to
include aggressive age out of idle sessions in the event of the
session table reaching the upper limits of capacity. In that event the
session table will start aggressively removing idle sessions until it
reaches a proper session table size.

While no single feature is a silver bullet there are at least a good
amount of options in the way of protecting your SRX session table and
the SRX itself. Hardening your device to such attacks is critical if
you are going to have any level of access in putting the SRX as your
outside internet facing device.

I 100% agree with Stefan by the way, using stateless firewall filters
for a layered approach is also recommended if you plan on replacing
your DIA router. For the record, using such stateless firewall filters
there is no session built there is no passing go. The packet is just
dropped to /dev/null (or null0 depending how you look at it). No
session is ever created for traffic dropped by a firewall filter.

I hope this helps,
-Tim Eberhard