[j-nsp] 100Base-LX10 and MX80

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Mon Mar 5 03:47:11 EST 2012

On Sun, Mar 04, 2012 at 11:10:54PM -0600, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> My personal recollection is that MX back in the DPC days only supported
> 1000.

Depends. Some DPCs were multirate (e.g. the 2x10GE + 20x1GE combos).

> I could probably go dust off some documentation on the internals
> of the MX80 and tell you whether the PHY for the modular version
> supports 10/100/1000 for the SFPs or not

The 20x1GE MICs do support multirate, definately with the "original
Juniper" Methode Elec. OEM SFPs. Works in MX80 as well as MPC2 and is
supported.

Caveat: you have to explicitly configure "speed auto" on the interface,
otherwise it WILL do autoneg, but only advertise 1000Mbps capability.
And to configure "speed auto", you'll also have to explicitly configure
"gigether-options auto-negotiation" even though the interface already
does autoneg by default, otherwise your commit will be blocked. I was
utterly unsuccessful explaining to bogosity of that to JTAC, trying
hard for weeks. "It's working as coded, so it's fine". No, it's not.
I gave up eventually after being persistent enough to at least add some
hints into the reference docs.

lab at lab-MX80-01> show interfaces ge-1/2/7 | match link
Physical interface: ge-1/2/7, Enabled, Physical link is Up
  Link-level type: Ethernet, MTU: 1514, Speed: 100mbps, BPDU Error: None, MAC-REWRITE Error: None,

lab at lab-MX80-01> show configuration interfaces ge-1/2/7
speed auto;
gigether-options {
    auto-negotiation;
}

lab at lab-MX80-01> show chassis hardware
  MIC 1          REV 23   750-028392   xxxxxx            3D 20x 1GE(LAN) SFP
      Xcvr 7     REV 02   740-013111   xxxxxxx           SFP-T

lab at lab-MX80-01> show chassis pic fpc-slot 1 pic-slot 2
                          Fiber                    Xcvr vendor
  Port  Cable type        type  Xcvr vendor        part number       Wavelength
  7     GIGE 1000T        n/a   Methode Elec.      SP7041-M1-JN      n/a

Best regards,
Daniel