[j-nsp] configure MAC address on MX logical unit?

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Tue Mar 6 18:53:34 EST 2012

I have a somewhat unusual network topology where it would really benefit me
to be able to change the MAC address used on a given AE interface logical
unit.  This does not seem possible in 10.4 on the MX series.  Is it
available in any later release?  For example, I wish to configure:

interface ae0 {
  unit 40 {
    family inet {
      address ...;
    }
  }
  unit 50 {
    mac-address 02:02:02:04:04:04; /* different MAC for this unit */
    family inet {
      address ...;
    }
  }
}

The "mac-address" statement above is imaginary, it does not exist in 10.4,
but if something similar is available in a later release, it will compel me
to upgrade eventually.

I have tried tricking the router into doing this using VRRP, but I need to
establish an eBGP session from this unit 50, and the router still transmits
the BGP session packets with the hardware MAC address, not the VRRP address.
--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts