[j-nsp] M20: Adding a second RE

Chris Cappuccio chris at nmedia.net
Thu Mar 8 10:55:52 EST 2012

Juniper GOWEX [juniper at iber-x.com] wrote:
> Thank you very much for your help.
>
> Both RE?s have the same software image. and now my doubts are about
> the configuration, Do I need to edit groups RE0 and re1? In this
> moment I haven?t IP in the fxp0 interface,  How I can  access the
> Backup RE from the Master RE ?.

Some people use apply-groups for setting IP addresses on fxp0, but I use inband management with no IP on fxp0, instead the management IP resides on lo0 with filters. I use a null modem serial cable to access to backup RE. With management on lo0, the only time I'd see re1 over the network is if it was active. Maybe there's a vty command for that, I've never checked.

Chris