[j-nsp] Hidden IPv4 iBGP routes

John Neiberger jneiberger at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 11:30:35 EDT 2012

I was troubleshooting a problem last night and it boiled down to a
Juniper router that was not a whole slew of iBGP routes from a
neighboring ASR9K. I'm too new to Junos to decipher the reason for it.
I had to disguise it a bit, so I hope it's still readable. What does
this actually mean? Can you tell from this output why it is being
hidden?

> show route a.b.c.d hidden extensive

inet.0: 18326 destinations, 36052 routes (17885 active, 0 holddown, 442 hidden)
Restart Complete
a.b.c.0/26 (1 entry, 0 announced)
         BGP
                Next hop type: Indirect
                Next-hop reference count: 427
                Source: x.x.x.x
                Next hop type: Router, Next hop index: 1006
                Next hop: [physical IP address of ASR9K] via
xe-0/0/0.0, selected
                Protocol next hop: y.y.y.y [correct protocol next-hop from ebgp]
                Indirect next hop: 9c48790 -
                State: <Hidden Int Ext>
                Local AS: OurAS Peer AS: OurAS
                Age: 1w3d 23:59:56      Metric2: 0
                Task: BGP_[stuff]
                AS path: XXXXX  YYYYY I (Looped: XXXXX)
                Communities: [lotsa communities]
                Router ID: [correct router ID]
                Indirect next hops: 1
                        Protocol next hop: y.y.y.y (same as above)
                        Indirect next hop: 9c48790 -
                        Indirect path forwarding next hops: 1
                                Next hop type: Router
                                Next hop: [physical IP of neighbor,