[j-nsp] Hidden IPv4 iBGP routes

John Neiberger jneiberger at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 18:08:53 EDT 2012

Something that makes this a little stranger to me is that in the
output showing the looped AS, the local AS isn't ever listed. The
route is originating in AS YYYYY and passing through AS XXXXX on the
way to this router, which is in AS ZZZZZ. I'm confused about how an AS
path loop could be happening.

[YYYYY] -- ebgp -- [XXXXX] -- ebgp -- [ ZZZZZ] -- ibgp/rr -- [juniper router]

The Juniper box is an RR client of the upstream router, which in turn
is an eBGP peer with XXXXX who is learning a route from YYYYY. I don't
see how a path loop could form. I suspect something is just
misconfigured somewhere.