[j-nsp] Rack mounting a EX4200-48PX, concerned about weight

Paulhamus, Jon jpaulhamus at IU17.ORG
Wed Mar 21 10:52:41 EDT 2012

If it's in a 4 post rack, you can buy the 4 post kit.

EX-4PST-RMK

If not - you can turn the rack ears backwards, so the switch sits more centered in the rack - although it will stick out further.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Williams [mailto:mike.williams at comodo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 7:17 AM
To: juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [j-nsp] Rack mounting a EX4200-48PX, concerned about weight

On a few occasions I've used those plastic washers you get with cage nut sets between the post and the ear on the top holes, packing the top out a few millimeters to take out some of the sag. It can be tricky to hold the washer in place while putting the screw through.
You could also just put the top screws in *then* mount the switch to achieve the same result, but with only 2 screws holding the device in.

On Tuesday 20 March 2012 23:18:21 Bill Blackford wrote:
> I actually mounted one of these in an older cabinet where the cage
> nuts were not the tightest fit, but (and I do not advocate this)
> taking a laptop bag strap along the back of the chassis and up to
> points on the back of the cabinet to act as a sling to help hold up
> the back.
>
> Four post rails would probably be the best solution.
>
> -b
>
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM, James Baker <james at jgbaker.co.nz> wrote:
> > I've got a couple of new EX4200-48PX with dual 930W power supply
> > which have just arrived and I'm quite concerned about the weight of
> > the units in relation to the rack ears. It is the same ears for the
> > EX4200/3200 family.
> >
> > Has anyone racked these before, if so how much sag do you get and do
> > you suggest a shelve underneath?
> >
> > I've seen what a Cisco2811 does and how much it sags and this will
> > be a lot worse.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > James

Mike Williams