[j-nsp] JunOS 10.4R8.5 on MX5? Am I forced to run 11.4+?

Timh Bergström timh.bergstrom at videoplaza.com
Thu Mar 22 09:00:57 EDT 2012

Hehe ok, thanks all for the input.

It's quite weird, especially since I can "upgrade" the system to a
full  MX80 with licences only, and if I do that I expect that I will
be able to run my standard release (10.4R8.5) which I run on my other
MX80s (which is the full MX80 btw).

So basically, I feel a bit cheated that I had to "wait" for MX5 to be
released when I could get a MX80-5G.

I'm going to try to install 11.2R5.4 (recommended release) on it now,
I do not trust a R1-release. Ever. ;-) I might also try create a
technical support ticket or raise hell with my SR to try to make the
10.4-series to support MX5/10/40s unless someone else has done it
already.

//T

2012/3/22 Paul Stewart <paul at paulstewart.org>:
> Yeah, we just ran into this weird release issue with hardware not being supported - in this case MX10-T ....
>
> Anyways, I did do a no validate on a downgrade and it was miserable (had to reinstall OS via USB key).  Live and learn ... ;)
>
> Running 11.2R5.4 on a pair of them at moment - as long as you're not doing BRAS functions it seems to work ok with BGP/MPLS/OSPF/IPv6
>
> Paul

Timh Bergström
Head of System Operations
Videoplaza/System Operations