[j-nsp] JunOS 10.4R8.5 on MX5? Am I forced to run 11.4+?

Timh Bergström timh.bergstrom at videoplaza.com
Mon Mar 26 02:31:25 EDT 2012

Wow, that sucks major meatballs, thanks for the clarification.

So there might be an option to hack that into the "supported" list of
hardware so the damn code will boot at least. I'll look at it if I
have the time. :-)

Or if we all yell high enough they might release 10.4S to support the
MX5-10-40-T chassis.

//T

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 9:56 PM, Christopher E. Brown
<chris.brown at acsalaska.net> wrote:

> The _only_ issue is that the chassis ident is MX5-T/40-T etc...
>
> The ID is not in the list so JunOS refuses to finish booting.
>

> We had some part numbers swapped, asked for MX80-40 in late December and
> received MX40-T, just had 7 of them swapped out.  (We are currently
> running 10.4, no way in hell I am jumping to 11.2 or 11.4 at this time).
>

> The interesting thing about this...  All of the support and sales folks
> I talked to have been under the impression for the last 6+ months that
> the new MXxx-T units were just a grey chassis version of the MX80-T
> (modular MX80 w/ timing).  They all though it was just a part number
> change for the re-badged/colored units.
>
> I stopped yelling at them when they had to go to business unit
> management to find out that yes, 11.2 and later only and no there would
> not be a 10.4S release that added the new chassis IDs for those of us
> caught in the middle.
>

> On 3/22/12 6:19 AM, OBrien, Will wrote:
>> I think it's a matter of the newer switching fabric only being supported in 11.
>>
>> Will O'Brien
>>
>> On Mar 22, 2012, at 8:12 AM, "Per Granath" <per.granath at gcc.com.cy> wrote:
>>
>>> I suspect the 10.4 would not lock down the XE ports on the chassis, so there is a reason for not allowing it to work...

> --

Timh Bergström
Head of System Operations
Videoplaza/System Operations