[j-nsp] MX80 Power

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Mar 29 15:12:45 EDT 2012

On (2012-03-29 12:32 -0500), Tim Jackson wrote:

> Probably a bad idea.. You shouldn't really even be mixing AC and DC
> power in the same racks if you can avoid it..

Isn't facebook rolling fantastillion servers with muni-AC as main power
source, to have minimum amount of conversions and on-site equipment to
avoid extra equipment caused outages and powerlosses
And DC as backup power, as UPS/flywheel/etc will be DC, and no point
inverting it again and incur new losses and inverter which can fail
(actually most common reason for power outages for us)

I would say it's technically superior solution to have primary AC and
backup DC PSU.

--
  ++ytti