[j-nsp] DNS signed zone and IP Fragments

Philip Palanchi palanchi at rutgers.edu
Tue May 1 16:28:17 EDT 2012

I'm looking for a firewall packet filter to deal with IP Fragments as described in the link below.

https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/2010-February/078917.html

We run a pair of MX240's with 10.1R3.7 at the edge. Running stateless firewall filters inbound on Internet handoffs allowing certain tcp and udp ports.  I'm having a problem with non-initial fragments not getting through.  We have a  temporary workaround, but it is not a global solution at all.

I was thinking that firewall filter processing for fragments such as below could be a solution, but it's scary to open the flood gates.  Interested to hear how others have dealt with this.  Any thoughts?

term ip-fragments-1 {
    from {
        first-fragment;
    }