[j-nsp] Storm control on aggregated ethernet interfaces...

Mark Tees marktees at gmail.com
Mon May 7 20:58:01 EDT 2012

Hello listers,

In the docs for Junos 11.4 for the EX series switches there is a line that says:

Note: We do not recommend enabling storm control for multicast traffic on aggregated Ethernet interfaces on EX2200, EX3200, EX3300, EX4200, and EX6200 switches.

Link -> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos11.4/topics/concept/rate-limiting-storm-control-understanding.html

This line is not in the same doc for 10.4

Link -> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos10.4/topics/concept/rate-limiting-storm-control-understanding.html

Does the same rule apply for 10.4 for the EX series (specifically 4200's and 3200's) ?

Is it a good idea to be enabling storm control on trunk interfaces internally or perhaps it might be best to keep it to edge ports?

My thought was along the lines of not enabling storm control for trunk interfaces internally so that there is no chance of STP or LACP packets getting dropped. I suppose the way the ASICs process these types of control packets might differ between software versions given these lines in the docs?

Any thoughts out there on this?

Mark L. Tees
marktees at gmail.com