[j-nsp] M7i won't go through password recovery.

Dave Peters dave at terabitsystems.com
Mon May 14 19:01:42 EDT 2012

Hey all--

I've got an M7i with an RE-400, and it won't go through the standard
password recovery procedure.  It suggests running fsck manually, which
reveals no errors, and then goes through the same loop.  I'm not an
expert with these things, at all.  I'm probably just missing something
very simple.  Hoping one of you can talk me down from the ledge.  Thanks
much.  Sample output below:

--Dave Peters

Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or space bar for command prompt.

  Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
  OK  boot -s

!truncated!

Enter full pathname of shell or 'recovery' for root password recovery or
RETURN
for /bin/sh: recovery

!truncated!

error: filesystem consistency of secondary filesystems (fsck -p -y /var)
failed

An emergency shell can be started to repair any damage and
perform the required operation before exiting and allowing
this script to continue operation.

continue, shell, abort, retry, or reboot ? sh
# fsck
** /dev/ad1s1a (NO WRITE)
** Last Mounted on /
** Root file system
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
1358 files, 50481 used, 60549 free (21 frags, 7566 blocks, 0.0%
fragmentation)
** /dev/ad1s1e (NO WRITE)
** Last Mounted on /config
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
7 files, 7 used, 12239 free (23 frags, 1527 blocks, 0.2% fragmentation)

# cd /packages
# ./mount.jkernel
Mounted jkernel package on /dev/md1...
Verified manifest signed by PackageProduction_9_0_0
# ./mount.jroute
Mounted jroute package on /dev/md2...
Verified manifest signed by PackageProduction_9_0_0
# /usr/libexec/ui/recovery-mode

Performing filesystem consistency checks ...
/dev/ad1s1a: NO WRITE ACCESS
/dev/ad1s1a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.

error: filesystem consistency checks (fsck -p -y) failed