[j-nsp] duplicate acks, EX3300 VC

Mike Williams mike.williams at comodo.com
Thu May 17 12:16:47 EDT 2012

Hey all,

Before I punt this to JTAC, has anyone had any experience with
poor/highly-variable TCP throughput from a small stack of EX3300s?

We've got a stack of 3, one 48 port, and two 24 ports, and since they went in
we can't get reliable TCP transfers transatlantic.
Linux-Linux can go really fast, but involve Windows and we get a pityful
~100KBps, regardless of tuning done.
Junos is 11.4R2.14.

It's taken us *forever* to hone in on the issue possible being the EXs,
because who'd have thought a switch couldn't handle packets at a few 10s of
megabytes per second (10-20k PPS x 3).

To cut a looooooooong story short;
Linux firewall sees the 2 initial TCP packets correctly, but the server
generally only gets the second one, or if it gets the first it's after the
second. Then we're into a bazillion duplicate acks, out-of-order packets, and
TCP retransmissions.

I found the 'show system statistics tcp' command a short while ago and it's,
well, "interesting".

> show system statistics tcp
fpc0:
Tcp:
         84769061 packets sent
                 16676437 data packets (2039615568 bytes)
                 1416 data packets retransmitted (1526176 bytes)
                 0 resends initiated by MTU discovery
                 67141526 ack only packets (23539653 packets delayed)
                 0 URG only packets
                 0 window probe packets
                 22 window update packets
                 3468634 control packets
         125994683 packets received
                 15916504 acks(for 2039560634 bytes)
                 82630576 duplicate acks
                 0 acks for unsent data
                 25574925  packets received in-sequence(3702132560 bytes)
                 43149892 completely duplicate packets(5824 bytes)
                 10 old duplicate packets
                 5 packets with some duplicate data(2140 bytes duped)
                 0 out-of-order packets(0 bytes)
                 0 packets of data after window(0 bytes)
                 0 window probes
                 24585 window update packets
                 23 packets received after close
                 0 discarded for bad checksums
                 0 discarded for bad header offset fields
                 0 discarded because packet too short

fpc1 and fpc2 have similar numbers, even though these packets have no need to
leave fpc0. There aren't even any active servers off fpc1/2 yet.
fpc0 has been up 33 days, so has seen almost 30 duplicate acks per second
since it booted.

--
Mike Williams