[j-nsp] SRLGs in Inter-Area LSPs

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon May 21 09:43:24 EDT 2012

On Sunday, May 20, 2012 10:36:15 AM Łukasz Dudziński wrote:

> I didn't know that option before. It seems, it can be
> very useful in hierarchic networks. It's a pity that it
> is poor documented.

Really? I thought it was reasonably documented way back as
Junos 8.5.

We use expanded loose hops back in Junos 9.x when we have a
multi-level IS-IS backbone, between various Cisco and
Juniper routers. It wasn't without its issues, but worked
for the most part.

What we did with our second network was simply use a flat
Level-2 IS-IS domain, as p2mp RSVP-TE needed to run across
different parts of the country, and sticking in multiple
levels would have rendered that service problematic to
deploy.

But yes, BGP Label Unicast is the recommended scaling method
for so-called "Seamless MPLS" deployments. I just think it's
overly complicated.

Mark.