[j-nsp] How reliable is EX multichassis? 3300 and 8200 switches

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Thu Nov 1 08:23:28 EDT 2012

31.10.2012 10:38, joel jaeggli wrote:
> On 10/30/12 5:49 PM, Pavel Lunin wrote:
>> When it comes to ethernet switching, "routing protocols" means what? :)
> spanning-tree/trill/l2vpn/NVO and so on.
Right, but if we get back to the particular case of DC/enterprise core,
consisting of two EX boxes, this list gets a bit reduced. Moreover I'd
say this application needs bridging, not lots of pseudo-wires, so l2vpn
won't go as well. Well, not so many options in realty :)

And. As of my understating of Trill (I know something about Brocade's
implementation and almost zero of other vendors) the idea is also to
hide routing and most of the control-plane from the user. Which is not
that different from EX Virtual-Chassis approach (which is also IS-IS
inside) from the point highlighted by RAS. So Trill is not less "for
people who can't figure out routing protocols". Yes, it's completely
different in technical details how control-plane state is synchronized
in NSR/NSB in contrast to what I know about Trill, let alone VPLS or,
say, MAC-VPN. But while I also find the way of using protocols and
standalone control-plane processing more elegant from theoretical point
of view (especially when geographically distributed), in the few-box
case everything rather depends on a particular verndor's implementation,
number of bugs and user's ability to maintain.