[j-nsp] Strange VRRP problem -- question about restarting process

Alex Arseniev alex.arseniev at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 13:18:07 EDT 2012

Well, that's fairly straightforward - either (1) VRRP on master [J] stopped
sending or (2) CSCO switches stopped forwarding VRRP hellos, or (3) backup
[J] drops incoming VRRP hellos.
You can verify (1) by using "monitor traffic interface <blah> no-resolve
size 9999".
(2) could be verified with SPAN/RSPAN
(3) cannot be verified with "monitor traffic interface" _if_ there is an
input FW filter. "monitor traffic interface" a.k.a. tcpdump does not capture
packets dropped by FW filter. Which begs a question - do you have an input
FW filter on VRRP interfaces or lo0 and if yes, do you allow "protocol vrrp"
as well as AH/proto 51 and have you added/changed VRRP auth type recently?
Proto 51 is used when VRRP MD5 auth is configured. In any case, I'd suggest
to configure a FW filter to log/syslog incoming VRRP packets (dst.ip
224.0.0.18/32) on backup [J].
HTH
Rgds
Alex