[j-nsp] MX - DWDM no link

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Wed Nov 7 03:08:54 EST 2012

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 2:37 AM, Luca Salvatore <Luca at ninefold.com> wrote:
> This might seem silly but when I look into the XPF in the router I don't see any red lights coming from inside the XPF. Normally when you look into a XFP or SFP you can see the red laser inside it. I'm not seeing that with the XFP in the MX. Should I be able to see a light?
>
> Any suggestions?  I have configured the wavelengths on each side and the interface is just configured as a simple inet interface.

<SwedeMike> don't look into laser with remaining good eye!

The light coming from that XFP is not within the visible spectrum.
You can't see it BUT IT CAN DAMAGE YOUR EYE.  Do not look into it!

To be honest, I'm not sure your post isn't a troll!  However, there
are plenty of things that could be wrong with your installation.  The
Tx/Rx fibers could be reversed.  You may be using the wrong wavelength
for the underlying DWDM system.  The fiber span may not be good enough
for 10G -- are there other 10G waves working on it?  1G/2.5G waves?
You might need amplification or chromatic dispersion correction
equipment.  Your XFPs could be bad.  Maybe it's vendor fiber and it is
not patched correctly?  Perhaps you have in-building cross-connects
which are not completed or are of poor quality?

Who really knows?  You have done zero basic troubleshooting steps.
The reason why is (assuming you aren't a troll) you don't understand
what you are doing.  I think your project will be more successful if
you find a local contractor to help you.  This may sound rude, but you
are not even working SAFELY at this point, let alone effectively.  Get
yourself some assistance so you can get the job done without damaging
your eyesight or delaying your work.  You probably need someone local
to you, because there is a very big knowledge gap between what you've
got (in this specific context) and what you might need to troubleshoot
quickly and SAFELY.  The mailing list can hand-hold you through it if
you post more information and do a bunch of troubleshooting steps, but
I wouldn't want to be on the phone with my dark fiber vendor going,
"well, some guys on juniper-nsp told me to rent a light meter and I
used it and can't see any signal from my other POP..."  :-/

$0.02.  Again, I apologize if my response seems rude, but you are
going to harm your eyes!
--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts