[j-nsp] MX - DWDM no link

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Wed Nov 7 06:36:51 EST 2012

Hi Luca,

I have a funny feeling you'll need to plug the tunable into one of the built-in XFP ports to make it work.

If this doesn't work:

- Confirm that the MUXes you are connecting to are definitely DWDM and not CWDM.  If they are CWDM, make sure you are connecting to the 1530nm (Channel 53) or 1550nm (Channel 55) interface and that the channel you are using on your MX corresponds (eg: Channel 55 will work with 1547.72 through 1553.33)

- Confirm that the port you are connected to on the mux is the same at both sides (all other wavelengths will be filtered)

- Confirm that the channel you have set under your interface configuration is EXACTLY the same as the wavelength supported on your MUX port - the tuneable optic will allow you to change channels in increments of 50Ghz, whereas most muxes will only offer channels spaced 100Ghz apart (so every 2nd channel on the tuneable will be filtered out no matter what port you plug it into)

As mentioned by others, DWDM wavelengths aren't visible to the naked eye as they sit in the Infra-red bad of the EM Spectrum.  Aside from that, some I'm sure I've seen some gear (EX4200s with 4xGE module) seems to implement Auto-Laser Shutdown by default which drops the continuous beam to short (sub-second) pulses when loss of signal is detected at either end so if you unplug even the RX on the optic, you generally won't see any link.  Much better than having to screw around with UDLD though.

If you're stuck without the proper equipment, use the camera on your mobile phone to view the FOBOT - it's much better at detecting infra-red light and you'll avert the free eye surgery.  That said, I don't know how sensitive your phone camera will be to be to wavelengths >1500nm

The output from show interfaces diagnostics looks clipped.  There should be alarm statuses as well?

Also check out:

http://labs.spritelink.net/juniper-mx-and-tunable-xfps

It lists some are some pfe shell commands you can run to confirm the wavelength the optic has been set to (which should tell you if it's supported).  Why Juniper don't include the current wavelength in the diagnostics output is beyond me...

Cheers,

Ben