[j-nsp] STP Between Cisco and Juniper

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sat Nov 10 01:38:16 EST 2012

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Saba Sumsam <saba+jnsp at eintellego.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a Layer 2 network consisting of a Cisco 2970G, SRX210 and SRX100.
> Following are the STP modes supported on each:
>
> Cisco 2970G: mst, pvst, rapid-pvst
> Juniper SRX100: STP, RSTP. MSTP
> Juniper SRX210: STP, RSTP
>
> My question is: Is Cisco mst interoperable with Juniper RSTP. What mode
> should I be using on each device in this case?
>
> Suggestions highly appreciated.

The best solution will really depend on your environment.
What is the topology like?

I would avoid MST/MSTP unless you have a good reason to use it. A
Cisco running MSTP should interoperate with non-MSTP-speaking devices,
as external to MSTP-speaking boxes, each "region" looks like like a
big spanning-tree bridge.

If your environment is simple and doesn't have any unusual
requirements, I would go for rapid-pvst/rstp on each device.

Cheers,
jof