[j-nsp] Weird SRX flow timeout issue

Tim Eberhard xmin0s at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 19:03:47 EST 2012

Benny,

I've been working with the SRX since before it was in beta loading it
up on a SSG550-M and netscreen previous to that. TCP keep alives, or
any tcp packet that transverses that session has ALWAYS reset the
timeout. The only time where you would see this "not working" is if
you had a situation of asymmetric routing or some time of crazy load
balancing through firewalls.

This is a basic system function, and yes, tcp-syn-checking has
everything to do with the session timeout problem. With
tcp-syn-checking ANY data packet (keepalive, syn, ack, or a normal
data packet) can create a new session, or in this case reestablish an
existing connection.

Just so it's crystal clear here..

If you have syn checking on:
You open up a connection.
Connection times out
All additional data meant for that specific session is dropped and a
reset is sent in an attempt to reinitiate the connection (assuming
tcp-rst is configured). The 3 way hand shake MUST take place for a new
session to be created.

If you have syn checking off:
You open up a connection.
Connection times out
The moment any data packet comes that is allowed by security policy a
session is created.

I hope this clears things up. If you still doubt this feel free to
reference juniper's documentation.
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos-security/junos-security10.2/junos-security-swconfig-security/topic-44055.html

-Tim Eberhard