[j-nsp] maximum number of routing-instances on MX and EX

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Nov 20 14:08:04 EST 2012

On (2012-11-20 13:28 -0500), Chris Evans wrote:

> Can anyone tell me the maximum number of routing instances supported on the
> MX and EX platforms??
>
> I am working on a technical review of vendors and am looking for that
> information.

I noticed same question in c-nsp. Any straight answer you're going to
receive is going to be marketing. Since VRF by itself isn't inherently
expensive, it's not very different to have 100VRF with 1 route each, or
1VRF with 100 routes.
So before finding absolute VRF scaling limits, you're going to run out of
DRAM on control-plane for RIBs or TCAM/RLDRAM in HW for FIB for routes.

I think I booted MX80 with 8000 VRFs once in lab, took over hour to boot. I
seem to recall Juniper tests MX80 with 2000 instances.

--
  ++ytti