[j-nsp] VPLS Multihoming

Luca Salvatore Luca at ninefold.com
Tue Nov 27 17:36:54 EST 2012

Hello,

I have two PE MX10 routers at each end of a connection and I have configured them for VPLS multihoming.

I have one device configured as primary and one device configured as backup.  Everything is working as expected but I have a question regarding the PE in backup mode.

So - my understanding is that VPLS multihoming is used to prevent layer 2 loops.  How is this accomplished?
Is it because the backup PE device does not forward any traffic (except for LDP stuff) and hence no loop is formed since backup PE is in a sort of 'blocking' state?

Thanks,
Luca.