[j-nsp] Detecting OSPF packet drops

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Thu Nov 29 07:10:15 EST 2012

Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> writes:

> RSP720 is lower spec pq3 than MX80 yet it runs circles around MX80 in terms
> of convergence and scale. In fact when I heard about MX80, I wasn't worried
> about RE performance at all, top-of-the-line pq3, faster than RSP720,
> should suffice no problems, how naive I was.

Indeed, the ~1500 L3 VLANs which were moved to the MX80 causing the
problem came from an RSP720 which had no problem at all handling the
load... (It had all sorts of other interesting problems, as everyone who
has worked with the 7600 before SUP2T can surely attest, but it handled
OSPF load just fine.) It was a nasty surprise I must say.

/Benny