[j-nsp] ACL behaviour

Ali Sumsam ali+junipernsp at eintellego.net
Fri Nov 30 01:36:50 EST 2012

Hi,
There is an ACL on a Cisco router which doesn't have a statement which
allows the BGP peering IPs through the interface (where the ACL is
applied). However, the BGP is still getting established.

I am doing the same thing on Juniper, and the BGP peering is not coming up.
If I allow the BGP peer IP in the Juniper firewall filter, it lets the BGP
come up.

My assumption is that Cisco doesn't apply the ACL on the traffic that is
generated by the router itself. Is this the reason of the above behavior?
Or is there something else? Please comment.

Regards,
*Ali Sumsam CCIE*
*Network Engineer - Level 3*
eintellego Pty Ltd
ali at eintellego.net ; www.eintellego.net

Phone: 1300 753 383 ; Fax: (+612) 8572 9954

Cell +61 (0)410 603 531

facebook.com/eintellego
PO Box 7726, Baulkham Hills, NSW 1755 Australia

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco – Brocade - IBM