[j-nsp] MX80 port-mirror on MPLS interface

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Oct 2 08:17:36 EDT 2012

On (2012-10-02 11:13 +0000), Leigh Porter wrote:

Hi,

> Does anybody know if the MX80 supports mirroring of MPLS family traffic?

I don't, let me know if you manage to do it. You might be able to export IP
inside MPLS by circulating via LT, but I don't think you'll be able to
export MPLS frames as-is.

> Ethernet, IP, CCC, VPLS etc all seems supported, but when I specify family in any filter of forwarding-options for port-mirroring there is no family mpls available.

I think we need ERSPAN IETF draft, so you can export the original l2,
regardless what headers you have afterwards.
Why you cannot do this today, is because GRE wants ethertype, and there
isn't ethertype for 'the original L2 frame'. Cisco has reserved 0x88be and
0x22eb for this. This is just too useful feature to be proprietary.
There probably should be two version of this standard, one with shim header
(like ERSPAN) and one without shim header (if that will allow it to be
implemented by more currently shipping hardware)

--
  ++ytti