[j-nsp] Odd drop behavior on low-rate multicast streams

Nilesh Khambal nkhambal at juniper.net
Mon Oct 8 17:28:20 EDT 2012

Hi John,

Is it the first packet that gets lost from the stream or the subsequent ones?

If the route does not exist on MX for your (S,G) in the forwarding-table, then when you receive the packet for this (S,G) on MX, it will be punted to the routing-enginer (control-plane) for what is known as multicast route resolution to install the route. Control plane does usual the checks (IIF, receivers etc) on the packets and installs the route in the forwarding table. This is probably what you are seeing in this case. Creation and maintenance of multicast route in the forwarding-table is a data-driven. If there is no data for the timeout period, which is usually 6 mins by default, route (a.k.a forwarding cache) will timeout and the new traffic will need to be resolved again by control plane to install the route. The forwarding-cache timeout knob can increase the value when route will be timed out when there is no traffic hitting the route but depending upon the frequency of your data traffic, it might not be useful in all use cases.

You might want to consider "flow-map" configuration. This gives you control over which groups you want "not" to timeout. The forwarding-cache knob you mentioned in other email will affect all multicast routes which you may not want.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.2/topics/example/mcast-flow-map.html

Thanks,
Nilesh.