[j-nsp] WAN input prioritization on MX

Gustavo Santos gustkiller at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 21:04:45 EDT 2012

Hi,

I'm new on Juniper class of service / shaping. I'm reading some tech docs
from Juniper and a Juniper's  MX book, but it's kind tricky.
Today I get asked to do a pretty simple configuration, but I tried some
settings but none of then worked. Any of you guys can help me with that?

What I want to achieve is pretty (conceptualy speaking) simple.  I have a
Gig interface and want to rate limit the interface at 500Mbits , mark a
destination subnet with expedited forwarding class, mark anything else with
best effort. I tried the config below but it's not working.  The rate-limit
works but the prioritization isn't.

gustavo at MX5-1> show configuration firewall family inet filter wan-control
physical-interface-filter;
term high-priority {
    from {
        destination-prefix-list {
            high-priority-dst;
        }
    }
    then {
        policer limit500;
        loss-priority low;
        forwarding-class expedited-forwarding;
        }
}
term else {
    then {
        policer limit500;
        loss-priority high;
        forwarding-class best-effort
       }

( policer limit500)
physical-interface-policer;
if-exceeding {
    bandwidth-limit 480m;   (set the value lower to check policer working..
but it wasn't as desired)
    burst-size-limit 625k;
}
then discard;

then the filter was applied on the interface family inet filter input
wan-control

Gustavo Santos
Analista de Redes
CCNA , MTCNA , MTCRE, MTCINE, JUNCIA-ER