[j-nsp] delay-buffer in Juniper

Stefan Fouant sfouant at shortestpathfirst.net
Sat Oct 13 13:02:02 EDT 2012

It depends on the options you've got configured with your transmit-rate.

If you configure a transmit-rate with a keyword of rate-limit it will never buffer, it will simply drop any packets which are in excess of the configured transmit-rate.

If you configure a transmit-rate with a keyword of exact, it will buffer the traffic in excess of the configured transmit-rate, regardless of whether there is excess capacity available. It will buffer this traffic until it falls below the configured transmit-rate and then it will send this buffered traffic.

If you configure a transmit-rate without either of the two options above, it will allow the queue to use excess capacity if it is available (whereby it will not be buffered), or if excess capacity is not available, then the traffic in excess of the configured transmit-rate will be buffered.

HTHs,

Stefan Fouant
JNCIE-SEC, JNCIE-SP, JNCIE-ENT, JNCI
Technical Trainer, Juniper Networks