[j-nsp] Strangeness with CoS and scheduler rate-limiting

Stefan Fouant sfouant at shortestpathfirst.net
Sat Oct 13 16:25:52 EDT 2012

On Oct 13, 2012, at 2:59 PM, Per Westerlund <p1 at westerlund.se> wrote:

> Note that the scheduler "tmp-be" is not used. My belief is that everything that is not explicitly mentioned in the scheduler-map is handled by the default configuration (in practice the rest of the flows hit the default best-effort forwarding-class).

This is not correct. When you explicitly define a scheduler-map and apply it to an interface, there is no default configuration anymore applied to that interface. What this means is there is no guarantee to Best Effort or Network Control at all, and your experience may vary depending on network conditions.  You are correct, however that the rest of the traffic will hit your BE forwarding-class, but there are no guarantees to this class.

If you have BE traffic, or NC, and you want to accommodate it, then you need to make sure you configure the appropriate schedulers and apply them to your scheduler-map.

Can you do that and then when you have it configured properly see what your results look like. We can take it from there if you are still experiencing issues.

Stefan Fouant
JNCIE-SEC, JNCIE-SP, JNCIE-ENT, JNCI
Technical Trainer, Juniper Networks

Follow us on Twitter @JuniperEducate