[j-nsp] WAN input prioritization on MX

Stefan Fouant sfouant at shortestpathfirst.net
Mon Oct 15 10:52:22 EDT 2012

On Oct 15, 2012, at 9:40 AM, Gustavo Santos <gustkiller at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, After reading your comments, I will try to explain better  what I'm
> trying to achieve. I'm trying to do classification and queueing on an
> ingress interface.
>
> When the wan interface gets rate limit threshold (500mbits), all the
> traffic that is destinated to the high priority destination subnet gets
> precedence and no packet loss or lower packet loss, than the low priority.
>
> The egress traffic to these subnets goes to two different physical
> interfaces ( ge-1/0/5 and ge-1/0/5) So , from what I read from you, the
> ingress interface should "see" the rate limit of 500mbits gets congestion
> and then discard packets from wan that have destination (address) subnet
> that differs from the high priority subnet.
>
> For instance: If the current wan ingress traffic total is 450mbits and high
> priority traffic is 100mbits, and low priority is 350mbits = no packet
> discard, but if traffic towards high priority subnet is 300mbits and low
> priority is 300mbits, then the queuing / scheduler will drop the low
> priority traffic until the sources traffic gets shaped to 200mbits for the
> low priority and the high priority gets 300mbits.
>
> On Linux it's quite simple to achieve.

Everything you are describing above is quite simple to achieve in Junos as well, I just think you need to spend some time reading the docs a bit more as it appears there are a few gaps in your understanding. But believe me, what you are trying to achieve is quite possible and has been supported in Junos since the very earliest implementations.

Stefan Fouant
JNCIE-SEC, JNCIE-SP, JNCIE-ENT, JNCI