[j-nsp] How are max routes calculated on an SRX

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Thu Oct 18 00:05:10 EDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 8:38 PM, Ben Dale <bdale at comlinx.com.au> wrote:
> Table          Tot Paths  Act Paths Suppressed    History Damp State    Pending
> inet.0           1056579     354871          0          0          0          0
>       Data plane memory        576 MB Max   420 MB used ( 73 percent)   <--- FIB sits here

It's probably worth applying some simple arithmetic.  The DFZ today is
20% larger than in Ben's snapshot, above.  Data-plane memory use
obviously doesn't scale linearly with the number of routes, but it it
did, his memory use today would be ~88%.

Now add the IPv6 DFZ, which is still in its infancy at 10k routes
today, but requires more memory per route (a lot more, depending on
implementation.)

You just ran out of memory.  Today.  Not with IPv6 growth in the
future, or IPv4 growth in the future, but just by taking the current
IPv4 and IPv6 DFZ.

If I had that box deployed today, I would plan to upgrade it when
needed.  If I deployed it as a new device today, I would expect to be
fired.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts