[j-nsp] MX5 to MX80 virtual chassis feature

Julien Goodwin jgoodwin at studio442.com.au
Mon Oct 22 22:05:42 EDT 2012

On 23/10/12 01:53, David Miller wrote:
> We were told 2+ years ago that Juniper would be releasing a module for
> the port in the back of the MX5 - MX80 that could be used to VC another
> MX -or- be used as high speed link to an EX (4200 / 8500).  This has
> changed a few times in our discussions with Juniper over the subsequent
> years from "coming soon" to "no idea what you are talking about" to
> "coming soon" again.  Latest responses from Juniper have been reasonably
> solid "never going to happen".  My guess (merely a guess) is that
> marketing/product positioning folks within Juniper decided that this
> functionality would compete against their more expensive products and
> killed the development/release.

I had only ever heard that the rear MIC slot was for a future "services
MIC", given a full size services MPC has now been shown (it's in the
photos in the MX2020 datasheet) if a MIC version is going to come it'll
probably be then.

As for "high speed link to an EX" something along those lines has now
been announced as "Node Unifier" for FEX-like support.

I'd be unsurprised if VC on MX80 turns out like LNS support, where "it's
coming" becomes "we'll never do it" and then "here's the OS image
supporting it"

--
Julien Goodwin
Studio442